By Simon Liseli
ENGEN Petrol Station at Katima One Stop was caught by fire when the petrol attendant was filling a seven (7) seater Noah motor vehicle onTuesday morning.
A petrol pump and a vehicle were burnt at engine service station on Tuesday at around 11h00 am.
The filling station is situated at the corner of Trans-Caprivi High-Way and Dr. Hage Geingob Street in Katima Mulilo.
The fire is allegedly to have been brought by friction between the pump and a drum that had been filled.
Mr. Martin Matengu a petrol attendant at Katima One Stop who was on duty at the time of the incident told Caprivi Vision that he did not know how the fire broke out as he just heard a sound coming out of the drum he was filling followed by flames of fire that completely burned one of the petrol pumps and a seven (7) Noah with a registration number N4765KM that was caring three (3) 50 liters and four (4) 30 liters drums that was filled petrol for delivery to Zambia.
On arrival of this reporter at the scene the vehicle was already pulled some meters out of the pumps but it was still burning.
Katima Mulilo Town Council rescue department stopped the fire after stopping the one that was burning petrol pump.
“We were even about to finish put fuel in the last drum then I don’t know what happened its just like friction between the drum and pump then we just saw the fire coming out of the car then we just ran to pick fire extinguishers to stop the fire but it was big we tried our best even our neighbours there at Wenela Service Station helped us with their extinguishers but only the fire brigade people helped” explained petrol attendant.
When approached for comment the owner of the car Mr. Albert Lilumo could not explain more on what happened as he was left shocked and what he could remember was “I don’t know what happened we just saw fire coming from the nozzle of the last drum and we started to run as you can see I even left my shoe down there” he said.
Lilumo added that the incident did not happen for the first time but it was the third time happening at the same filling station where his car got burned while others used to be rescued from the fire.
“Am feeling pain because this is my first car and now burned, People at this filling station knows the problem because it used to happen it’s not the first time, some of the cars used to be helped by petrol attendants” concluded Lilumo.